Does anyone else not want it to be a new year on certain years because they don’t like the numbers? 13 is my lucky number so I loved 2013, but I hate the number 14 haha. Maybe I’m just weird…
Anyway, I wanted to talk about my 2014 goals, since it is that last day of 2013!! Can you believe it?!
Here is what I wrote for what I wanted to accomplish in 2013. PS – this post may get a little lengthy…
- Improve on my 5K, half-marathon and marathon times - I want to get faster all around. This year my mom and I will be doing a few half marathons and the New York City Marathon. My main goal is to take NYC with a vengeance and not suffer as much as I did the first time. How will I do this? I will follow Marc’s training plans and not skip runs. I want to run minimum 4x a week but will strive for 5-6 depending on my shin pain. I will also make an effort to cross train more.
- Starting with just the month of January, I will try to do something fitness related every day - Doesn’t have to be much, but whether it’s running, lifting or just 20 minutes of yoga, I want to be active every day and see if I can keep this streak up in January. Depending on how it goes, I want to continue it throughout the year!
- Be able to do 5 pull ups in a row -How will I do this? I will do pull up specific exercises every time I lift, which is hopefully 3-4x a week!
- Graduate with my Master’s in May with a GPA no less than 3.9 - I had a 4.0 until this semester =( but I really want to keep it at 3.9 now and finish out with a bang.
- Get a full time job I am excited about! *crossing fingers*
- Keep a budget and track my spending - I did this for a while but stopped. I need to get back to it to make sure I am not over spending and that I’m saving enough. How will I do this? Every paycheck I will dissect down into where my money should go, and give myself a limit for money spent on shopping.
- Eat much healthier and cleaner – How will I do this? For the past 2 weeks, I have been eating really clean, and allowing myself 1 small “cheat” per day, whether it’s a piece of chocolate, a cookie, etc. Letting myself eat 1 thing I wanted per day allowed me to not feel deprived. I will continue this, but obviously exceptions will be made for holidays or birthdays!
Now let’s see what I actually got done:
- Improve on my 5K, half-marathon and marathon times - I didn’t really race many 5ks this year, but all of my focus was on the marathon. While I didn’t PR in the half, I’m ok with that because I only did 1 half marathon the entire year. I did get a 33 minute PR at the NYC Marathon, so I think that makes up for everything else
- Starting with just the month of January, I will try to do something fitness related every day - I did keep this up in January but wasn’t stringent with it the whole year. I do like to believe I am pretty active every day, as I work out 5x a week, but also make sure to take walking breaks at work so I’m not sitting for hours on end.
- Be able to do 5 pull ups in a row - Noooo Sadly, strength training went by the wayside once I started marathon training. But I am working hard on pullups currently!
- Graduate with my Master’s in May with a GPA no less than 3.9 - CHECK!
- Get a full time job I am excited about! While I don’t have a full-time job, I am doing something I’m excited about. I started my own social media marketing business, and am working with several clients and hoping to grow in 2014!
- Keep a budget and track my spending - I did do this for a time being, but haven’t been as good about it lately. Really need to get back to this!
- Eat much healthier and cleaner – I’d say for the most part, this happened. While some splurges may have happened after my half marathon and after my marathon (hey, I just trained for months on end!) I kept a healthy diet for the most part. I like eating healthy, as it helps me feel better too.
Alright, now time for my 2014 goals! Going along with how I set up my 2013 goals, I will state each goal AND how I plan on accomplishing them. Setting up a plan is the best way to make sure you don’t forget about your resolutions by February!
- Let’s try this again: Be able to do 3-5 unassisted pull-ups – I’ve been working hard on pull-ups the past 5 weeks, so hopefully I can get there! I decreased my weight on the assisted machine by 15 lbs today so I’m making progress How will I do this? Continue incorporating pull-ups into my routine, but also getting stronger at other back lifts (rows), and working on my biceps.
- Get a 5K PR – I have no long distance runs planned this year, since I kind of want to take the year to do shorter races and get faster…and focus on lifting. So I think I have a shot at doing this! How will I do this? By doing workouts that will help me get faster such as hill sprints (I’ve been doing 2-3 mile runs with lots of hill sprints incorporated), track workouts, and continuing to incorporate longer runs.
- Do a blog redesign and transfer over to wordpress.org – I’ve been working on this for the past month or so, but designing a blog is hard! Hiring someone to do it can be costly so for now I’m going to try to work on it myself. How will I do this? Reading books on wordpress, learning basic html through codeacademy, and trial and error.
- FINALLY finish my online training plans and start an online 8 week workout program – Honestly, the training plan has been getting pushed off though I still work on it when I can…I’ve just been busy! I’d love to finish that, and start an 8 week online workout program which will be an online community, but also members will be sent workouts from me each week. How will I do this? Dedicating a certain amount of time each week to working on this.
- Raising awareness for my Etsy shop and the charity that it helps - In case you haven’t seen my posts about it, my mom and I opened up an online shop to sell duffel bags, tote bags…you name it. 10% of the proceeds goes to a charity called Manitos, which helps children diagnosed with cancer in Paraguay. Please check it out! How will I do this? Dedicating time to working on marketing my shop, but also dedicating time to making new products.
- Read a minimum of 5 new books - I slacked on reading this year…well, actually I probably did read close to 5 books. But I’d like to read more in 2014! How will I do this? Spending at least 10 minutes each night before bed reading instead of being online.
- Making more YouTube videos – I started my YouTube channel a while ago, but hadn’t posted on it for a few months. I’m planning on posting more workout videos and how-to videos in 2014, so please subscribe! How will I do this? Yet again, I will dedicate time on the weekends to film and edit videos, and have them ready for the week. I will need to set aside time to brainstorm ideas as well.
And that last point leads me to my newest video, which is my December favorites!
Hopefully 2014 is an awesome year. I really do love new year’s because it feels like there are so many possibilities ahead of you. Hope everyone has a great New Year’s Eve!
Have you made your goals/resolutions? What are they?
Are you doing anything fun for New Year’s Eve?
Where do you get your workout clothes?
Follow Reach Your Peak: