I love green smoothies. What a great way to get in your greens without tasting them. For someone who hasn’t tried one before, sure, they may look gross, but I’m serious – you can’t really taste the veggies!
One of my first posts was a list of my favorite green smoothie recipes. Most of these used only water, vegetables and a piece of fruit. Recently, I’ve been adding protein powder to my smoothies, while my mom has been using greek yogurt. Both are good if you want a protein shake AND a green smoothie
Here are some of those veggie/fruit only smoothies (which are still delicious by the way):
- handful of kale (or spinach)
- 3-4 pieces of celery
- 4-5 strawberries
- 1/2 a banana
- 1 apple
- handful of baby carrots
Here are my go-to smoothies (play around with measurements because it depends on how much you want):
Seriously tastes like a PB & Banana smoothie.
- Almond milk
- Peanut Butter
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional – I use Vega Vanilla)
Okay, this one you will probably taste some of the greens…
- Crushed garlic
- Tiny bit of ginger
- Add fruit of your choice
- Almond Milk
- 1/2 banana
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
A Little More Green
- Almond milk
- 1/4-1/2 cucumber (depending on how much you want)
- Strawberries (or your favorite berry)
Tips For Concocting Your Own Green Smoothie
If you want to experiment with making your recipes, here are a few tips:
- If you’re a beginner, use spinach instead of kale. It will be less green tasting, and once you acquire the taste for green smoothies, you can throw in kale (and other veggies) and it won’t taste as strong as the first time you try one.
- Just experiment with different combos. I found that I really like a carrots and apple combo, or a banana and PB combo. Some people like oranges or mangoes (never tried it myself), so it all depends on your taste. Try different fruits and veggies and see what you like!
- Use a high powered blender. I can’t afford a Vitamix right now, but I have a Ninja, which works really well. I never have chunks in my smoothie like when I used my Magic Bullet.
- Don’t put in the protein powder first (in your blender). I have found that when I do that and then add water, the powder gets stuck to the bottom, even if I blend it for a while.
Recently, I’ve been having a green smoothie most days. Like I said, it’s such an easy way to get in your greens and some protein too!
Do you like green smoothies?
Which of these have you tried/want to try?
Follow Reach Your Peak: