This is something I have not mastered yet. I’ve been doing yoga sporadically throughout the past couple of years, and my flexibility has really increased. This year my goal is to practice more challenging poses, like crow pose and handstands (I’m no where near being able to do a handstand).
I can occasionally get into crow pose. Proof:
But the problem is I can literally only hold it for 2 seconds before my hip flexor cramps up. Why does this happen?? It’s just gets tight and feels like a Charlie horse. I have tried the little tricks like placing a block under my forehead so that mentally I don’t feel like I’m going to topple over, and I’ve tried looking a few inches in front of me as opposed to straight down. Still can’t get into the pose!
So for all of you who are working on this like me, I found some more tips online to share with you (and that I’ll be trying). And if you CAN get into crow pose (jealous), here’s an article on how to make it even more challenging.
- Place a block under your toes so that you’re more lifted (Peanut Butter Runner) – This makes sense. Perhaps this will help my mental block of feeling like I’m going to fall over.
- Start in tripod headstand (POP Sugar) – I’m not even sure I can do this, but with the help of a wall, maybe I could and then get into crow?
- Jump into it from downward dog (POP Sugar) – This seems kind of scary but could make sense…I’ll try not to crack open my head
- Use the block as support (FitFluential) – When I placed the block in front of my head it was mainly for mental support, it wasn’t touching my head. This video shows you how to use the block as an extra source of support by placing your forehead on it before putting your knees on your arms. Interesting!
- Purposely fall forward (Antranik.org) – I like this tip. He suggest placing a pillow in front of your face and purposely falling forward. This helps you get over your fear of falling and allows you to feel when your body will go too far forward.
- “Flex the bananas out of your abs.” (Antranik.org) – I don’t think I’ve been doing this. I think I’ve just been trying to balance. (He also shows how to jump into crow from downward dog)
Now I’m really excited to work on this. I need to go back to the yoga studio. I had bought 10 classes over the summer and probably still have 7 left. It’s just hard to balance yoga, cross training and lifting with running! How do you do it?
As I mentioned, I do also want to be able to do a handstand eventually. So I think I’m going to try this March yoga challenge by @beachyogagirl on Instagram.
Are you able to do crow pose and handstand?
What’s a challenging yoga pose for you?
Follow Reach Your Peak: