So I took my 2 weeks off after Chicago, and have started somewhat running/lifting again. Well, I ran and lifted twice last week. But hey, it counts
Now I’m at the point where it’s like, now what? For those of you who ran a marathon or half marathon, you know what I’m talking about. You train for months and months, the big event arrives, you run, finish…and then it’s all over. I mean, I welcomed my 2 week break, but now I want something to train for again.
I have my goals for the rest of 2015 and for 2016 that I wanted to share with you and get your feedback on. Let me know what you think or if you have any advice or insight!
Rest of 2015 Goals
- Run around a 28 minute 5K on December 5. I just ran the Dash To The Finsh 5K this past weekend (recap coming soon) in 30:04. Not my best by a long shot, but I’m ok with it after 2 weeks off and then only running once before that. BUT my goal is to run around 28 minutes by Decmeber 5. I have a month to gain some of my fitness back and make that happen.
- Run a strong 15K race December 22. In order to qualify for next year’s NYC Marathon, I need to run 9 races with the NYRR. My last one will be Dec. 22 and it’s 15K (9 miles or so). I didn’t really want to run this race but it’s the only one I could do. Goal is to just finish strong and feel good!
- Lift more during my “off-season” so once I start running more again I have a good base of strength.
- Start building up my base mileage and get to around 45-50 miles per week average by late spring. I want to do a 5K training plan for now, and work on speed, then take a short break, and start marathon training in June, where hopefully I’ll hit 50-60 miles in peak.
- Get faster. Period. I really want to get a half marathon and marathon PR in 2016. I want to get faster over longer distances, and know I need to increase endurance. So that’s why I plan on running more miles.
- Run a sub 4:30 marathon in NYC in 2016. It seems crazy to me, but that’s my goal. I am sick of slogging through marathons and slowing down significantly in the later miles. I NEED to work on endurance and really want to try “racing” a marathon next year. We’ll see..
This is the first time where I’ve ran a marathon, and immediately was ready to get back to running afterwards. In the past, I was SO ready for the break, and ended up taking the whole winter off until March. So everytime I would be starting from scratch again. I do not want to do that again. I want to keep building up my fitness and really want to conquer the marathon next year
What goals do you have for the rest of 2015?
Any tips for building endurance? Does strength training help? Looking for any insight or advice!
Follow Reach Your Peak: