Disclaimer: ShoeBuy.com provided me with product in exchange for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
As you may recall, I ran the Rugged Maniac 5k last month, which was a mud run/obstacle course race (and really fun!). I never wrote a full recap of it but basically, my sister and I had a lot of fun doing it, although for next time I need to figure out a solution to muddy water getting into my eyes because of my contacts.
ShoeBuy was kind enough to send me a pair of trail running shoes by Reebok to test out during my race. The shoes are the Reebok All Terrain Thunder 2.0. I was really excited to try them out but also nervous because 1) I was wearing a brand new sneaker without breaking them in and 2) I wouldn’t be wearing my SuperFeet inserts so I didn’t know how my shins would fare.
The ShoeBuy website describes them as such:
Conquer obstacles with the shoe designed and engineered with enhanced support and cushioning to get you over the wall and through the elements with added stability and comfort.
The shoes are definitely sturdy and have good stability. No shin issues here. I mean, I suppose they would have to be stable to handle a rugged obstacle course!
They aren’t lightweight shoes, which is something to keep in mind. Since the shoes need to be sturdy and have bigger treads, it will make for a somewhat heavier shoe.
I talk about the things I loved about the shoe in my video below, but here are the highlights:
- The water-resistant outer. Your socks will obviously still get wet, but the shoe quickly dries off afterwards and repels water throughout. The shoe has drain holes on the side so water is being squeezed out with every step.
- The treads. These suckers got me through a lot of mud! I had no problem running through thick mud while everyone else was falling or having their shoes come off in the mud. It felt pretty cool to just be running through mud and passing people no problem
- The laces. I did not think about this at all beforehand but I imagine having to untie muddy, wet laces after the race would have been awful! Undoing the lace locks was super easy…now taking off my compression socks afterwards was a different story…
- How easy it was to wash them. I didn’t talk about this in the video but you can clearly see that they look pretty much brand new in the video right?? How awesome is that. I soaked them in a bucket of water then scrubbed the mud off and voila. Imagine getting mud off a normal running shoe. Here are some “before” washing pics:
If you regularly run mud runs or obstacle course races, these are the shoes for you. Or even if you just love trail running; these are perfect for rougher trails or rainy trail runs. Also, these shoes are true to size in my opinion. I’m a size 8.5 in normal running shoes and these shoes fit like my other shoes do.
For more information, check out my video review:
Like I said, ShoeBuy.com is more than just running shoes or shoes in general. You can find clothing, handbags, accessories, and much more. If you love online shopping, this is definitely a great website to check out. You can find everything you might need in one place, as opposed to having to go to different websites for different items.
Oh one last thing, they offer free shipping and free exchanges. So if you’re unsure about a size or whether something will fit right, you don’t have to worry about it.
I saw Rugged Maniac already posted their NJ dates for next summer (July 9 and 10th) so I guess I should pencil that into my calendar! I don’t know if I could ever do a Tough Mudder or Spartan…that might be too intense for me. Maybe one day
Do you trail run or do mud runs and have special shoes for those specific runs?
Do you prefer online shopping or shopping in person?
Follow Reach Your Peak:
- Facebook – http://facebook.com/reachyourpeakfitness
- Pinterest – http://pinterest.com/reachyourpeak
- YouTube – http://youtube.com/reachyourpeak
- Twitter – @pattyrivas13
- Instagram – @pattyrivas13