I currently live at home with my parents and younger brother. They are away on vacation for 2 weeks, so it’s just me and my brother, aka I will be making the easiest meals ever (or attempting to). You don’t realize how awesome it is living at home until your parents leave
Last night we were starving and needed something quick because we both had to go out. I open the fridge and all I had was chicken, spinach and mozzarella. No time to make pasta or rice. SO, I grilled some chicken, threw together a spinach and chickpea salad, added sauce to the chicken, melted some mozzarella on top, and VOILA!
Ok so the mozzarella was actually string cheese mozzarella that I then pulled apart, but still…delicious…and it literally took maybe 15-20 minutes.
You have your protein, veggies, some fiber with the chickpeas, and cheese for a bit of flavor. I like adding sauce to things as well for more flavor and to make it more filling (just make sure you choose one with minimal ingredients and always check to see how much sodium it has…the lower the better!).
Here’s what you need:
- chicken breasts
- spinach (or any leafy greens to make a salad, such as kale, mixed greens, romaine, etc.)
- chickpeas/garbanzo beans (my favorite bean)
- optional: pasta/marinara sauce (again, just check the nutritional facts)
- optional: mozzarella cheese to melt on top of the chicken
How I made it:
- Cook the chicken in a casserole, rather than something shallow
- Once it’s fully cooked, add in your pasta sauce. Optional: adding more veggies such as onions, peppers, etc.
- Let the chicken and sauce bubble for a few minutes. During this time you can prepare your salad. Throw the spinach and beans in a bowl…done!
- Serve chicken with sauce over salad and throw some cheese on top